Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Anticipating Svishtov!

So, in just over one week, I will be in Svishtov. Not that I am counting or anything, or more accurately, I don't have the bus schedule yet so I don't know the exact hour of my arrival yet.

Peace Corps, as hierarchical and beaureucratic as it may seem to some, actually knows a thing or two about training. As I said in my final interview with our administrative officer today, I feel adaquately prepared for everything except the things for which one can't prepare. Also the timing of the end of PST couldn't be more perfect. It is short enough so that we don't completely burn out by the end (operative word: "completely," it's supposed to be hard). It is also long enough that most of us are chomping at the bit to get to our sites by the end.

I have a thousand and one ideas for projects at this point (ok, maybe less than that), but I think that the best thing is for me to simply be an extra set of hands at first when I arrive. After I earn some "street cred" (would flyway cred be more appropriate here?), then I will be in a better position to supply project ideas.*

*PC staff, if you are reading this, aren't you proud of my internalization of the Peace Corps' approach to development work?

No comments: