Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Tiny Dig

So, here in my training village they seem to have come by some money for infrastructure improvements. There are road resurfacing projects, a recent renovation of the town square, and bilingual signs at points of interest with EU and BG decals on them. I ascertain that many of these projects are funded with EU monies. The most relevant project to my immediate situation is what I like to call the tiny dig (non- Bostonians, ask a Bostonian).

They are putting in new water pipes in my neighborhood. This is exiting not only because the water will be more reliable and pure in my 'hood, but also because I get to find a new hole in a different place everyday. There is a large digging machine, but I am also seeing shirtless male neighborhood residents (Old guys, people! Don't get the wrong idea!) digging to the connecting valves to their houses. Furthermore, since my neighborhood is not paved, all that has to be done after the pipe is laid, is filling in the hole. Really quite efficient by large American public works project standards.

The hole digging really adds interest (rather than inconvenience) to my daily commute, which I have come to enjoy. I live maybe a mile away from the language training center, so I get plenty of exercise (especially if I walk home for lunch, which I often do). I am beginning to figure out which people I will see at which places and at which times of day, which is nice. I am really enjoying the pace of life here and am even beginning to walk more slowly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tiny dig! At least there is progress. In Boston, it took 15 years,,, and the thing still leaks!