Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A day in the life...

So, some people may be wondering just what it is that I do during training. Most of my training day is taken up with language class (3 hours) with our Bulgarian language trainer. She is fantastic, and I have come a long way in a short time under her able tutelage. Not to give the impression that I am suddenly rattling off philosophical treatises in Bulgarian, but I can order food, ask what work someone does, ask for directions, introduce myself, express appreciation and ask some basic questions! I am far from fluent, but am slowly but surely learning new things everyday.

My training group especially likes games in class. For example, today we played a board game that required a different language related task on each square that our piece landed on. We are also big fans of throwing a ball around while conjugating verbs. I think the games are good because they force us to think quickly.

We also usually have something to do in the afternoon, related to another assignment. For example, we met with the police inspector of our town (who also happens to be my host dad), are planning a community meeting, are working on "cultural passports" that help us to learn about Bulgarian culture and often have other papers or group projects to work on.

Afterwards, I head home for the evening. I spend time with my host family at night, which helps A TON with the language. I also spend some time either emailing, blogging or reading by myself. Having a completely new lifestyle in a new culture takes some adjustment and I find that giving myself some time to relax helps in this process immensely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As long as by the time I come to visit you can order me food without seafood, we're good to go!!!! I'm also going to have to put in my vote for goat-milking documentation - classic stuff!! Glad you're finding the rythym in your days!!! Love, Lisa (Lisa #1, that is!!!)

Becka said...

Hi Beth!!! So glad to find your blog. Keep in touch.