Friday, March 14, 2008

My Best Day Yet!

So, just a quick one on what I think was my best day yet as a Peace Corps Volunteer.



On my way to work the trees looked like this:


















I went to a village and presented to a room full of kiddos about migratory spring birds. I think it was almost all the kids who were in school that day. They were SO attentive, and knew a fair ammount about birds, from living in a small village. They have at least one stork nest there, but the weather was bad so I didn't get a chance to see it. In any case, I had a great time presenting, and the kids were very welcoming. I like to have a little fun when I present, so I made them sing like cukoos, which they did wonderfully. In the photo with me and the two girls, the girl on the left was my little helper...I gave her the "job" of pressing the arrow on my laptop to advance my presentation. She took it SO seriously, and being one of the younger kids I think she was kind of proud that SHE was picked.





















Then I had what is arguable one of the best lunches in Bulgaria, called Surmi. Little bundles of rice and meat wrapped up in grape leaves and steamed. Mine were served with yogurt. There are vegetarian versions and versions with cabbage as well, all delcious.





























After lunch, I did a little bit of translation for BSPB's website, which I is challenging, but teaches me better Bulgarian. Then, I had my Bulgarian lesson, and would have normally been headed for home, except I had an operetta to go to.



A musical theater company in Veliko Turnovo was putting on "Die Fleitermaus" (English: "The Bat" Български: "Прилепът") by Johan Strauss. They did a FABULOUS job, and I thoughoughly enjoyed the show. I had heard lots of the music before; Die Fleitermaus is supposedly one of the examplars of the genre, and for good reason. Operettas are supposed to be "lighter" in subject than operas, and this one is a society comedy set in old Vienna. The plot has all sorts of kniving behavior and intrigue, and was well acted as well as well sung. Plus there were some only in Bulgaria touches, aside from being performed in Bulgarian. At one point the scantily clad bat dancers (who attend the midnight ball taking place in the second act) let out a pretty distinctive whoop, that is very similar to what you hear from young girls doing traditional folk dances.



Here are some pics from my up high seats (I got comped). I did not manage to capture the bat-dancers unfortunately!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. W! :)

I kind of got used to follow your blog and I enjoy every new posting. I am so envious that you got to see the operetta! There is no operetta theater in Houston, unbelievable...

Are you going to be still in Svishtov 27/28/29 June for the Roman Festival? That will be a cool thing to see.

Zdravko,

Lake Jackson, TX

Ms. W said...

I will definitely be enjoying the Roman festival. Rumor has it that 5,000 Italians are coming to Svishtov! It should make for some excellent people watching.