Thursday, September 20, 2007

Reason #53 why my host grandfather rules

My host grandfather is retired, but definitely keeps active during the day. Today, for example, I came home for lunch and he has just come back from a 2 hour walk in the forest, in the rain, to gather mushrooms. And gather mushrooms he did! They were mega-portabella sized monsters. I truly hope we have some sort of mushroom themed dish this evening for supper.

My host family has been extremely helpful in my language learning. They are always speaking to me, whether I understand or not. Wierdly enough I am starting to understand them (My language trainer's tutalge is helping, I'm sure). Last night we has a dicussion about Bulgarian history, a rather elementary one, but still much more that I would have though possible at this point.

They also just genrally dote on me. My host sister painted my fingernails last night, and today before I purchased my umbrella we passed on the street and she offered me hers. Pretty selfless for an 11 year old. My host grandfather always makes sure that I have something to eat when I come home for lunch. He usually doesn't cook for me, but in a culture where gender roles are much more traditional that what I am used to, it means a lot that he did once!

1 comment:

Ms. W said...

Update: We did have mushrooms dipped in egg and flour and then pan fried. Can you say YUM!